Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Canceled Projects: Cyber-Crisis

This was my first crack at doing a 2D platformer. I had a gritty back story and whole plot line planned out for it. Unfortunately it fell prey to a common mistake I made in all my earlier projects, it was a content nightmare!

Yes, what you see is great and amazing looking, but that just doesn't do it when you cannot pay for or do the amount of graphical work required that goes with this type of game.

The graphics that I'm showing off here are from that of Keirren Small, a very talented fellow who also worked with me on one of my current projects, Garland's Quest. Together we designed the main character's look based off some random artwork that I gathered to generate ideas and tell my story. He did an amazing job and this game would have been quite the eye candy if we had the time and money to complete it. Unfortunately only these concept images and the start of a platform engine remain.


Brief Synopsis

You are a prototype robot based on revolutionary new technology developed by a brilliant scientist who had intended to use it for good and honourable purposes.

However as fate would have it, the good doctor was hunted down, killed and his research stolen by a militant organization ran by a power-hungry madman. Fortunately for you, and for all that is decent still, the good doctor found out of those wanting his demise and put in place emergency measures to be carried out in case of such an even.

In the evacuation however, the escaping convoy carrying his prototype work was attacked and was assumed lost.

60 years later, you wake up to find a darker world that awaits you.


Concept Imagery





Game Engine Source

Download (1.4 MB)

Feel free to download and make use of my source. Please credit me if you do! It is written in Object Pascal. You'll need to get Lazarus and JEDI-SDL to compile it. Uses OpenGL for graphics and SDL for the rest. Enjoy!


More About the Project

I had posted quite a bit on my plans throughout the making of the project. Feel free to have a look to see how my creative process was working for me back then.

My old post on PGD

No comments:

Post a Comment